The Grey Labyrinth is a collection of puzzles, riddles, mind games, paradoxes and other intellectually challenging diversions. Related topics: puzzle games, logic puzzles, lateral thinking puzzles, philosophy, mind benders, brain teasers, word problems, conundrums, 3d puzzles, spatial reasoning, intelligence tests, mathematical diversions, paradoxes, physics problems, reasoning, math, science.
Quite a number of people have written in asking for the solution to a
puzzle called "Einstein's Challenge". It is a fairly difficult
logic puzzle, so I decided to post it for everyone. This puzzle is typically
prefaced with a note explaining that it was written by Einstein in the
last century (i.e., the 19th century) and that he claimed only 2% of the
world's population could solve it. This story is likely apocryphal, and
certainly more than 2% of all people could solve it, given enough time.
Hopefully this won't detract from your enjoyment of it:
FACTS OF THE PUZZLE
- There are five houses in five different colours.
- In each house lives a person of a different nationality.
- These five owners drink a certain beverage, smoke a certain brand
cigarette and keep a certain pet.
- No owners have the same pet, smoke the same brand of smoke or drink
the same drink.
- The Brit lives in the red house.
- The Swede keeps dogs as pets.
- The Dane drinks tea.
- The green house is on the left of the white house.
- The green house owner drinks coffee.
- The person who smokes Pall Mall rears birds.
- The owner of the yellow house smokes Dunhill.
- The man living in the house right in the center drinks milk.
- The Norwegian lives in the first house.
- The man who smokes Blend lives next to the one who keeps cats.
- The man who keeps horses lives next to the man who smokes Dunhill.
- The owner who smokes Blue Master drinks beer.
- The German smokes Prince.
- The Norwegian lives next to the blue house.
- The man who smokes Blend has a neighbour who drinks water.
The question is: WHO OWNS FISH?
And for extra points:
Could the claim that Albert Einstein authored this puzzle last century
Copyright © 1996-2013 Wx3, All Rights Reserved.